Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Two Weeks Into Term

Last term, two weeks into the term I was ready to pack my bags and come home. I had enough and thought there was no way I could survive working at this school with these students. Two weeks into the new term, I'm still here and couldn't picture myself anywhere else. 
Living in England is no longer something that feels new, something that may be short term, or a big decision to make. Obviously I miss my friends and family at home, but my life is in England now. Coming back from Canada felt like heading back to your University house after Christmas. It felt normal, it felt comfortable. Things aren't new anymore, rather they are a way of life. 
I am now training with a soccer team (will start playing in games once all the paperwork goes through and clearances are made). I am involved in extra curriculars at school with both staff and students. All of which have helped to develop a routine and establish my life here. I am assistant coaching Netball, which I am quite excited for as I have only been involved with Netball once in my life and that was for a university presentation. I am coaching a football team. I am playing on a football team and participating in the staff Badminton or 5-a-side football. A good group of a friends has also developed as pub night Fridays continue and then back again on the weekends to watch the football games.  
My confidence going into this term was much greater than going into last term and I have everything that has happened in the last 5 months to thank for that. The last 5 months have been the biggest and best learning experiences that I have had and that no amount of money could buy. I continue to challenge and figure myself out more and more each day, I continue to try new teaching ideas, as well as seeking assistance for ideas from past teachers and current colleagues. 
This week I had a surprise reunion with my international class via Skype. It was interesting to hear how the past 5 months have changed everyones' lives from many different parts of the world. This conversation had someone from Burlington, Nunavut, London and Stevenage. No one, except for the 4 of us in the class will understand the bond that was made between us, and because of that our conversations are very personal and an excellent support system. Everyone described challenges they have gone through, but only expressed the feeling of happiness. (Also had to laugh at Pete talking about his -40 degree weather and Christine and I mocking our "Snowmageddon" closing schools on Friday and Monday).
Clearly, once a Badger, always a Badger...I was also Skyped into a Brock University, Hamilton Campus class this week. During this class, REd teachers, my agency was presenting to the new teacher candidates about teaching abroad. I found it hard to believe that that was me sitting in that room last year. The teacher candidates looked so eager as I spoke, bright eyed, excited, nervous and whole other mix of emotions. Some of them you could tell were there because they thought it was a cool idea, and others you could tell were there because this is what they want to do. My favourite part for both groups was seeing the excitement in these teacher candidates, seeing them talk to me and realize that this dream can simply become a reality. 
My life here is much more settled, and much more comfortable. The only thing missing is my photography. I have been extremely slacking on my photography course, but have not taken pictures in a while. I am extremely excited though, because, an impulse decision (which normally for me is buying a new dress or purse or shoes) I booked a plane ticket to Venice! I am off to Venice for 3 days in February and ready to dust off my camera. 4 weeks!
Now that everything is checked off my to do list for today, I'm off to build a snowman and some tobogganing! 

1 comment:

  1. Shelby

    Wonderful update!
    Thanks for Skyping into the International Presentation by Reds! The students loved what you had to say and Neil and Chris from Red's were so pleased that you were there to give a first hand account of your experiences. Awesome job! We all loved the red Canadian pullover you had on with the BIG letters saying Canada!! Great job Shelby!

    The Skype with our International Class was fun too. What experiences you have all had! Proud of all of you!! Keep me posted if you need anything.

    Mr. Wickens
    Cohort Advisor and Instructor
    Brock University

    ReplyDelete