Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

One Day

After a long week, full of ups and downs, good and bad moods, I had a weekend just to myself. No travel, no meeting friends in London, just a chance to unwind. My weekend was filled with movies, junk food and photo books.
Photo books; if anyone is struggling for a gift for anyone, my Mum bought me gift certificates for these for Christmas. They are amazing! Turning your photos into hard copy books, such a great keep sake. I have ordered one book and half way through making the second. Two books of my time in South Africa. The first book of animals and landscapes, the second of people and faces. I am extremely excited for the faces edition. But, this gave me a wonderful opportunity to slowly go back through the pictures, relive the memories, and reflect on the emotions. Even though I took the pictures, I think my South Africa collection is one of my best. This could be though because of the emotions attached to each picture.
Although looking back was enjoyable, a look to the future was sparked by a certain movie. Although it appeared under the romantic comedy category, it was romantic, but definitely not a comedy, more on the sad side. But, good nonetheless. In this movie, a girl, Em, played by Anne Hathaway, meets, somehow, either in person or via phone, her best friend Dexter (Jim Sturgess) on the same day every year. July 15th.
Another fantastic present from my Mum was a 5 year journal. Everyday it asks a question, a different question. But on that day, for the next 5 years, you will always answer the same question.
As the lives changed of Em and Dexter, I began to think about the journal, my life over the next 5 years. The growth that has happened in the last couple of years, and then comparing that having 5 years of my life documents in a little brown book.
Before bed each day I answer the question. It has become one of my favourite parts of the day. Some of the questions are quite easy, like what did you have for lunch today? Whereas, some of them are quite thought provoking. Looking at my answers from the beginning of January, they tend to be short, not much thought put into them. Now that my trust in the book has been developed, I have opened up.
One of the questions last week was "What do you want to forget?" Immediately, bad memories start rushing to your head. Do I wish to forget that moment, or this person, the heart break or the knee injury? You go through it all. But when it comes down to putting pen on paper, it's almost impossible. Taking a sneak peek at the question for the following day "Who do you want to be?" immediately made the forgetting question that much easier to answer.
Without the madness of the on and off roller coaster, without injuring my knee, without friends passing away, or loved ones being ill, who would I be. Going through struggles, making mistakes and coming out on the positive end of the spectrum is what makes us stronger. An athlete's character isn't determined by how well they win, but by how well they lose and what they do next time.
As I continue to fill out this little book, whether it be the simple questions or challenging questions, I continue to learn and I continue to reflect.
This journal was given to me with such great timing, as I adjust and become more comfortable with my journey in England, for the next year and a half, and then onto another one, who knows where. But when I'm finished this journal, I'll be 28 (terrifying to think about), but exciting to think of everything that will be in this book.
Much as Em and Dexter revisited their lives on the same day each year, embracing the changes, I am excited.
I had a mentor meeting today and we were comparing 4 weeks into last term and 4 weeks into this term and the complete polar opposites of emotions and attitude that I have. Last term, I was ready to pack my bags. This term, I love it. Yes, there are some classes I wish the bell would ring sooner, but there are those that I really do enjoy. I am currently in an internal debate of whether to stay at this school or to find a new one next year. It is not a hidden fact at my indecisiveness with big decisions, so take the answer I give you each day as it comes.
I will be in Venice in 2 and a half weeks and have that all planned out. Looking at an Emirates Stadium tour for the half term week as well. I may also be officially joining the PE team and picking up 4 hours of classes that have now been deemed "Football Wednesdays." My Contiki Tour books have also just arrived today to start putting my summer plans together. Definitely plenty of good things to come and the time is flying by here!
Although contact with home has been way more this week, I've been thinking of you all a lot. I love you all and miss you dearly. Thanks for supporting my adventure through reading my blog and sending all you wonderful words. My Ontario mug sits on my desk (full of pens and pencils since I don't like tea or coffee), but you are all with me everyday. Much love, Shelbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment