Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

First Year of Teaching...Check

So this post should have been written a month ago when I actually finished the school year, but this summer has been one crazy whirlwind of adventure. So as I sit here uploading my pictures from the last month and a day before school starts I began thinking of everything that has happened this last year.

This time last year I had been in the country only a couple of days, I was just figuring out my town and had a tour of my new school. I was on my own in this new adventure, extremely nervous, but prepared (or so I thought) for something exciting. As you all know from reading my previous posts, I went through a series of internal debates last year of whether or not to stay at my school or to even stay in England.

Last October I was ready to go home and wanted to quit. I was not fulfilling the dream I had planned. With simple encouragement from my Aunt saying "Okay, pack your bags" she called my bluff and I knew I was in this for the long haul. Thinking of that moment now, I couldn't even imagine going home. After a month away, I was excited to come back.

This past school year taught me way more about teaching than any other schooling I have participated in. When I first got to the school they said "If you can teach here, you can teach anywhere." At that time, that made me nervous. Now it's more of a challenge and taking pride in all accomplishments made by myself and my students. Although my teaching has reached a new level, what I have learned about myself is unmeasurable. A shy girl from suburbia, has become wandering, city nomad. One of my favourite past times has become getting lost in random cities and exploring. I have become immune to tourist attractions and crave exploring local areas of places and mixing with the culture. I'm no longer afraid of everything (even the fear of dogs is getting better!) and I'm always ready for an adventure.

This year had its many ups and downs both at school and at home, but I wouldn't change a thing about it. My family has become even closer than it was before, I have a nephew joining this world in less than a month, and a new school year ahead of us that is going to bring about much more learning, growing and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment